Compared to IL-Repack

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Although I have read through your motivation for LibZ, I have not understood the functional differences between LibZ and IL-Repack. Would you care to comment on feature differences?
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM
As far as as I understand IL-Repack works like ILMerge. So all the code is getting merge into one big assembly, with all the potential disadvantages which I explained on home page.

There is not really a difference in features. They both do same thing: merge multiple assemblies into one file. The purpose of LibZ is to workaround one limitation of ILMerge/ILRepack approach. Let me quote Mike Barnett, author of ILMerge, again: "[...] If I had known about this, I never would have written ILMerge. Many people have run into problems using ILMerge for WPF applications because WPF encodes assembly identities in binary resources that ILMerge is unable to modify. But this should work great for them.".

Anything which references assemblies by their name (lot of third party libraries do) have a potential to NOT WORK AT ALL when packed with ILMerge/ILRepack.

On to of this, some minor benefits of LibZ are:
  • assembly compression
  • sharing container files